In 1922, Pallottine Father Robert Sorgi, S.A.C. was the Pastor of Saint Joseph when the parish broke ground for a school building which contained six classrooms on the first floor and a large auditorium on the second floor. Within several years the steady increase in the school’s enrollment created the need for additional classrooms. It was then that the Pallottine Fathers began to slice away at the auditorium on the second floor, partitioning off two classrooms.
Saint Joseph High School came into being in September of 1935 when the Pallottine Fathers opened a Prep-Seminary in Hammonton. The first Freshman Class consisted of five boys-Joseph Mungari, Guido Carcich, Vincent Campi, Raymond Fiume and Louis Del Vecchio-all of whom were ordained priests.
The high school served seminarians exclusively until 1942 when the Prep-Seminary was transferred to Sag Harbor, Long Island. Following the transfer, Father Mark, Martorelli, S.A.C. opened the High School to all who were interested in receiving a Catholic secondary education.
School enrollment climbed steadily and soon the building was bursting at the seams. In 1949 Fr. Mark launched an extensive building program that ultimately added 12 classrooms, a gymnasium and a kindergarten wing.
In 1959, the parish purchased property for the sports complex on Wood Street where football, soccer, and field hockey are played. The softball and practice fields are located on Peach Street.
Staffed by the Sisters Fillipini, Saint Joseph High School grew steadily. To accommodate the need for space, the high school moved to 328 Vine Street in 2004. In 2008, Saint Joseph High School gave up its status as a Parish School and became a Diocesan High School.
Since 2007, the school has implemented a strong initiative toward academic excellence, professional development for teachers, and technology. Intensive scheduling, steady increases in SAT scores, and a rigorous Global Studies program are points of great pride. As always, service to others is the underlying tenet of all that is accomplished at Saint Joseph High School.